Bowmanville Veterinary Clinic

2826 HWY 2
Bowmanville, ON L1C 3K5

(905)623-4431

bowmanvilleveterinaryclinic.com

Antifreeze Poisoning   

 

Ethylene glycol is used as an automotive antifreeze. If it is left uncovered or drained on the floor, dogs and cats may drink it because of the sweet taste. Severe and often fatal poisoning results.

Prompt treatment is essential because ethylene glycol may cause permanent kidney damage. If you think your pet may have ingested antifreeze please contact us IMMEDIATELY.

Hospitalization and intensive treatment are required to treat most antifreeze poisonings. Severe kidney damage can occur rapidly. Periodic blood tests over the course of treatment not only reflect your pet's response to medical aid but also help direct the type and intensity of treatment.

 

Notify the Doctor if Any of the Following Occur

  • Your pet seems weak, or trembles or convulses
  • Your pet loses its appetite
  • Your pet vomits or has diarrhea
  • Your pet seems depressed
  • Your pet seems to urinate much less frequently
  • Your pet's urine contains blood